get priorities right ... get Orphean ! (Orphean)

by Rudolf150 @, Sunday, March 11, 2007, 18:12 (6246 days ago)

Definitely on topic :grin:

I just need to write this post after the experience of this afternoon.
Although I had used my Orphean just after buying them, I have spent the last months working on a small conventional speaker (Accuton ceramic tweeter and Seas Aluminium woofer) for in the living room. I was pretty happy with the result. At beginning of this week I took the speaker with me to the designer of this speaker (I used a different tweeter though). We listened to the speaker and were pretty happy with the result.
I believe it is correct to say that the Accuton tweeter is regarded as one of the best tweeters around, and together high quality filter components were used in the filter, you get a good high end speaker. Although I knew (remembered) dynamics weren't on the same level as the Orphean, I was tempted to build another small speaker to improve the peformance.

But then, this afternoon ... I connected up the Orpheans again (still without bass).

It is hard not to use words to describe it. The speed, push, size, clarity is at a complete different level than the conventional speaker. I was shocked !!! Man o man, I have one of the best speakers in house and you still forget the amazing quality of the Orpheans.

To be fair, I am still not fully happy with the soundstage. But as I am based in the loft with rather low roof, this is not the optimum place.
But once set up right, there will be nothing out there to beat the sound stage (I have heard this at Bert's place).

So to cut my story short, the upgrade from my conventional speaker to the Orphean (via Oris) is at least an improvement of several orders. :drool:
I might we worried to choose the right amp (so my other topic) and hope to improve a few factors, but I have just realised again that by the far biggest
step to realistic sound has been done by me already and is built and designed by Bert.

So, if there are readers in doubt to go ahead with the Oris or Orphean, ... I don't think I need to add anything here. GO GET THEM !

Rudolf

Tags:

get priorities right ... get Orphean !

by fu_man @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 04:39 (6245 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Rudolf,
there have been quite a few attempts at describing the difference between the Orphaen and Oris.... care to have a go?

Tags:

by GC, Monday, March 12, 2007, 07:49 (6245 days ago) @ fu_man

Rudolf,
there have been quite a few attempts at describing the difference between
the Orphaen and Oris.... care to have a go?

You asked Rudolf of course; so sorry if I disturbe, but if you forgot this one, here it is:

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=10634

GC

Tags:

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 10:04 (6245 days ago) @ fu_man

Hi Fu_man,

Sure, I think that GC gave you the best reading material (thanks, GC).
Let me know, if you want me to add something.

Rudolf

Tags:

by fu_man @, Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 07:23 (6244 days ago) @ Rudolf150

GC thanks, I enjoyed reading that previously.

>>>Let me know, if you want me to add something.
Only if you want to :grin: Maybe i'll ask this:

do you honestly think that anyone purchasing new (not upgrading) would prefer an Oris versus the Orphaen? ( IE a 250 horn with AER's versus the 250 horn with compression driver)

(I think I already know your answer for comparing the 250 horns with the 200 or 150.)

Tags:

by Rudolf150 @, Sunday, March 18, 2007, 21:10 (6238 days ago) @ fu_man

Hi fu_man,

Sorry for my late reaction.

Only if you want to :grin: Maybe i'll ask this:

do you honestly think that anyone purchasing new (not upgrading) would
prefer an Oris versus the Orphaen? ( IE a 250 horn with AER's versus the
250 horn with compression driver)

That is a tricky question:

I could live happily with both Oris or Orphean. In my ORIS150 I used a plain Lowther PM2A and was very happy with it, until I changed my amp. This new amp used more silver wire in it, sound the sound balance was too bright. Considering upgrading my drivers, Bert released his Orphean. When you already do a simple calculation on prices, you can see that Orphean is very attractive.

So I bought the Orphean with the Duelund copper for the mids (all through) and sold my Lowthers. I have tried to sell my Oris150, but I still (possibly, depends on an offer) would like to hang to them. Because with a nice AER driver, the ORIS150 will sing.

If you start from scratch to get into Bert's horns; the Orphean is the choice. Unless, if your budget is limited you could go for the ORIS and start upgrading the drivers if you like. Then again it is better to save a little bit more to go for the Orphean directly.
But to put it into perspective, as soon as I had my ORIS fired up 2 years ago my decision was quickly made to sell my Avalons.

A final remark; both horn systems ORIS and Orphean are very direct. The Orphean takes it to the extreme level; razorsharp details and dynamics.
So if you like it 'very spicy' the Orphean is your choice.

A final warning :wink: : once you have listened/owned horns all other conventional will sound dull; there is no way back.

Rudolf

Tags:

by fu_man @, Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 10:40 (6237 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Rudolf,
i really like your descriptions, quite a different approach and actually very useful.
Thank you!

Tags:

by Cappy @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 08:43 (6245 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Rudolf,

I enjoy your posts and enthusiasm. Keep it up.

This post reminds me a bit of an auto reporter giving a glowing review of the latest BMW, except for weak acceleration, and then offhandedly mentioning at the end that the sample they were provided lacked an engine.

Soundstage and imaging requires a firm foundation. Your soundstage will improve when you acquire an engine! :grin: :good:

Tags:

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 09:59 (6245 days ago) @ Cappy

Hi Cappy,

Thanks for your kind words.

It is hard not to be enthousiastic about the Orpheans. Yesterday I realized (again) how BIG(HUGE) the difference in sound is compared to regular high end speakers.
I just want to fire up the people that are in doubt about buying the Orpheans. The speed, details, power, energy is absolutely overwhelming.

The soundstage - nice comparison with cars - is already good, but the soundstage needs the space to build up in its fullest shape. In my loft it is far from ideal. However, the authority of the Orpeans in all other aspects can not be overlooked/overheard.

Just little things, when listening to a live recording and suddenly somebody in the audience starts the whistle :whistle: . The sound of the whistle is so loud, so aNoying (but without obstructing the music) - as in real life.

For completeness, I own Avalon Monitors (they are for sale) and 'been around the block' with equipment and listened to all sorts of speaker. But the Orphean and Oris are in a different league (I can not judge on Avantgarde or other horn speakers, to be fair, but the biggest advantage of the Orphean is the point source ; from 220 Hz and up from only one coaxial 2" driver).

Glad to hear that enthousiasm came over :clapping:

Finally, if you bear in mind the price of the Orpheans, and compare it with the peformance and joy you get ... it is an absolute BARGAIN !
Moroever, the horns look much better than most of the available conventional speakers.

You are right, the engine that is lacking, is the bass cabinets ... but how many speakers are listenable without a bass ? With Orpheans you CAN (for the time being). I am just imaging the bass connected the Orpheans, ... man, I will never come down from the loft :cool:

Rudolf

Tags:

by Bert @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 10:11 (6245 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf,

You are right, the engine that is lacking, is the bass cabinets ... but
how many speakers are listenable without a bass ? With Orpheans you CAN
(for the time being). I am just imaging the bass connected the Orpheans,
... man, I will never come down from the loft :cool:

The soundstage is highly related to the fundament, the bass....

Its not just about boom, boom and warmth and such, if integrated properly and if its good quality bass then the whole soundstage becomes much bigger and much more real.

Without good bass the Orpheans are unlistenable to me (if you are used to enjoy them differently). You'll be highly surprised how much better the Orphean "car" will perform with matching tires...:swoon:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 10:31 (6245 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks; you are completely right.
Just look at me ... starting a subject with priorities in the title, and I even haven't come around to sort out the bass :wacko:

It is time to warm up the engines of the sawing machine and stop being tyred/tired and give the Orphean some body :smile:

Rudolf

Tags:

by Cappy @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 15:42 (6245 days ago) @ Rudolf150

And don't complain about the handling if you put bicycle tires on your BMW 650CI.

The BD15s are like the fat sport wheels your car craves.

You could always sell those metal mesh covered, diffraction producing Accuton tweeters to raise some funds...

Tags:

by GC, Monday, March 12, 2007, 17:34 (6245 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi Rudolf

I have a couple of wheels here you can borrow by self-pick-up.

Customs = Your problem. :prankster:

GC

Tags:

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 22:11 (6244 days ago) @ GC

In the case you don't know where I was talking about, hereby a picture with an arrow to indicate the Orphean :grin:

Hi GC, free tires ... that is like Orphean music to my mean Dutchman ears :thankyou: ... even if he hasn't got a BMW M635csi.

[img]images/uploaded/image222.jpg[/img]

As you can see there is enough space for a bass cabinet; however the loft has a thin wooden floor. I guess spikes would be definitely required?

Rudolf

Tags:

by GC, Monday, March 12, 2007, 22:23 (6244 days ago) @ Rudolf150
edited by GC, Monday, March 12, 2007, 22:31

Hi Rudolf

Hi GC, free tires ... that is like Orphean music to my mean Dutchman
ears :thankyou: ... even if he hasn't got a BMW M635csi.

Dutchmen rarely have fast bikes or cars. I saw by own self. You are too polite in the trafic. Come here and learn some bad manners. :cool:
But the offer is open to "just" you. :friends:
They are the real tires you would appreciate. :cool:

As you can see there is enough space for a bass cabinet; however the loft
has a thin wooden floor. I guess spikes would be definitely required?

Spikes are needed under the intire house. I have that, as my building is floading on water.
How many can match that? A real tweak to go for...

Now, your turn...:wink:

Yours

GC

Tags:

by GC, Monday, March 12, 2007, 22:52 (6244 days ago) @ GC

Rudolf 150..it is time to think about another tittle.

Rudolf 30....20..or even 10? Depends on your "I dare" to say hello to the lows in the same way you are listening to the mid/highs today....:grin:

I'm out of topic again x 100...and maybe out of here. Always at the edge of trying something...break through...just as the very owner of this page. :yes:

GC :pardon:

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Monday, March 12, 2007, 22:52 (6244 days ago) @ GC

GC, you are mocking up another one's thread again !

Dutchmen rarely have fast bikes or cars. I saw by own self.

[img]images/uploaded/image224.jpg[/img]

Like so ?

and

my building is floading on water.
How many can match that?

like this ?

[img]images/uploaded/image223.jpg[/img]

Don't underestimate the Dutch !

:pleasantry:

Tags:

by Rudolf150 @, Monday, March 12, 2007, 23:14 (6244 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi PeterST,

Nice pixies, but where is the picture of your Orpheans/SWINGS?

Rudolf149+1/2 :grin:

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 09:03 (6244 days ago) @ Rudolf150

Hi PeterST,

Nice pixies, but where is the picture of your Orpheans/SWINGS?

Haha. I can start working on that now; I just yesterday mounted the lot in "some" temporary construction.

Rudolf149+1/2 :grin:

Hmm ... 149+1/2 = 75.
149+(1/2) = 149.50.
:cool:
Peter

Tags:

get priorities right and more...

by GC, Monday, March 12, 2007, 23:14 (6244 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by GC, Monday, March 12, 2007, 23:24

Yeah...who have a cure?

GC, you are mocking up another one's thread again !

Dutchmen rarely have fast bikes or cars. I saw by own self.

[img]images/uploaded/image224.jpg[/img]

Like so ?

and

my building is floading on water.
How many can match that?

like this ?

[img]images/uploaded/image223.jpg[/img]

Don't underestimate the Dutch !

:pleasantry:

Peter...

Are you the man in NL who are/were racing tuned Opels or alike? I mean really emmiting Castrol Oil to the worse of the environment? I Googel'ed you. How could you expect otherwise?

nnah..just to help out you and your pics: What is that? Again puke? Do I really have to take my tripod and a real size 50 MB/tiff to show you art?
Coffee pic was good, but this water and piles tweak would not even come close to 24-bit volume control. :heart:

Ehh... better we stick too e-mailing..........I'm off :sleepy:

You're too

GC :cool:

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread