Klipsch belles with Orpheans (Orphean)

by Anders, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 18:20 (6261 days ago)

Hi everybody!

I am a new poster in forum, and first i would like to thank Bert and everyone for refueling my interrest in hornspeakersdesign.

The new Orpheans sounds really interesting. I have been through many lowther based designs ( mostly modified Tommy Horning designs, and some frontloaded ditos) . When it comes to compressiondrivers i have only had brief encounters with jbl and Tad.

As i am in a situation to totally renew my system, the only component left are a pair a Belle Klipsch basshorns , so the question is, whould these work as a startmeup option with the Orpheans? Please give me your thoughts!

Cheers.

Anders (Sweden)

Tags:

Klipsch belles with Orpheans

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 18:27 (6261 days ago) @ Anders

Hi Anders,

I am a new poster in forum, and first i would like to thank Bert and
everyone for refueling my interrest in hornspeakersdesign.

Welcome and thank you for your kind words.

As i am in a situation to totally renew my system, the only component left
are a pair a Belle Klipsch basshorns , so the question is, whould these
work as a startmeup option with the Orpheans? Please give me your
thoughts!

According to some it seems to work well using a similar situation (with Klipsch LaScala as mentioned in a German thread linked below). Hey Ivo, now it is getting on topic! :wink:

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=12904

I do have second thoughts about the optimal timing though but the bass horns are rather short, migth work okay even though it is less optimal.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by Anders, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 19:04 (6261 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert!

Thanks for the quick respons!

I am aware of some of the shortcomings of Belles( 50 hz limit etc.) would there be a lack of transient speed compaired to the Orpheans?

In the future i was thinking implementing a dipol eight gradient soulution much like Rauna loudspeakers have done. Great transient speed and staging.
Any thoughts?

http://www.rauna.com/slides/speakerwalljpg.html

Thanks again!

Tags:

by Bert @, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 19:33 (6261 days ago) @ Anders

Hi Anders,

I am aware of some of the shortcomings of Belles( 50 hz limit etc.) would
there be a lack of transient speed compaired to the Orpheans?

The principle used is speedy enough, transients is about timing too...

In the future i was thinking implementing a dipol eight gradient soulution
much like Rauna loudspeakers have done. Great transient speed and staging.

Nice wall of speakers! That will give plenty of bass and due to the big total cone surface low distortion too. I am not sure if the present position of the panels as shown on the picture are optimal though, my guess this will give one nice BOOM effect (at a few frequencies only that is...).

The big spreading of the cones will make the timing a bit weird though, a huge stage should be expected. Much bigger than "real" and then it is good to have a relative small source filtered pretty low (like the Orphean) to reduce that effect for the better.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by GC, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 19:34 (6261 days ago) @ Anders
edited by GC, Tuesday, February 27, 2007, 19:38

Hejsan Anders

You would a least not face the problems with the Orpheans and a dipole bass system, as exposed in the system you linked to.

The basses in that system tries to short-circuit the dense bass energy through the midranges diaphragmes, resulting in extreme displacement of those diaphragmes.
The midranges likely don't see the low output impendance of the amp due to a seriel capacitor or two and therefore are unprotected.

That caNot happen with the Orpheans.

If you arrange a dipole bass, just be critical about it's drivers.

GC

Tags:

by Ivo, Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 02:46 (6261 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

According to some it seems to work well using a similar situation (with
Klipsch LaScala as mentioned in a German thread linked below). Hey Ivo,
now it is getting on topic! :wink:

I told you... :grin:

I do have second thoughts about the optimal timing though but the bass
horns are rather short, migth work okay even though it is less optimal.

It is worth noting that the Belle Klipsch is a LaScala, but folded a bit differently. The cabinet is less deep, but the horn itself is still the same length. If you push the Orphean back as far as it goes, then the Belle Klipsch gives more delay than a LaScala. If you align the mouth of the Orphean with the mouth of the bass horn, the delay is the same.

I get large differences in sound when shifting my Lowther horns back and forth on top of my LaScala bass cabinets. Some positions are very nice, some are not... More time delay makes bass a bit fatter and the sound loses some space and reality. The basic character of the horn bass remains, though, so it's dynamic and clean. That should match well. Overall, I think that a good horn with some delay is better than a bad bass system with perfect alignment. I would keep the Belles while you save your money until you know what you want and can afford it.

Ivo

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread