Fostex FE206ES-R (Drive Units)

by Jaime @, Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 21:15 (6356 days ago)

I want to build a ORIS 200 enclosure but the AER drivers are very expensive for me. I can buy a pair Fostex FE206ES-R but securely I lost a lot in quality. This is correct?
Somebody have hear both drivers and compare them?
Another possibility could be the F120A?
I haven’t difficulties to put them in the ORIS?.

Which is your recommendation?.

Best regards
Jaime

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by Bert @, Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 21:55 (6356 days ago) @ Jaime

Hi Jaime,

I want to build a ORIS 200 enclosure but the AER drivers are very expensive for me. I can buy a pair Fostex FE206ES-R but securely I lost a lot in quality. This is correct?

You will loose refinement but you will still love the combination with the FE206ES-R.

Another possibility could be the F120A?

That won't fit, that driver is too small for the Oris 200. A better horn for that size of driver would be the Oris 250 and then still, it won't work optimal with that driver. Better alternative would be the FE166E's in the Oris 250/65.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by Flecko @, Thursday, November 30, 2006, 23:30 (6355 days ago) @ Jaime
edited by unknown, Thursday, November 30, 2006, 23:44

Hi Jaime,

I want to build a ORIS 200 enclosure but the AER drivers are very expensive
for me. I can buy a pair Fostex FE206ES-R but securely I lost a lot in> quality. This is correct?

I have had a Fostex FE206ES-R and used it just for a short impression in an OB. This is not the place such a speker should be used but it shows that the Fostex can't have the frequency response Fostex tell you. It has a sweet sound but the resulution is not very good and you will need a supertweeter I think. After I recognised that, I send it back to the dealer. The ES-R was tested in KlangundTon and my guess was proved. It has some strong resonances and at 15khz the sensitivity starts to decrease.
Better should be the Audio Nirvana 8 and the price is less than half of the Fostex. I did not heard the Audio Nirvana but it was tested in a german diy magazin (hobyhifi)wich I trust very much. It has a good f.r. up to 20 khz, high sensitivity, few resonances and was the recommendation for hornspeaker. It should fit to an Oris but I am not sure. I think Bert can tell you that.

greetings Adrian

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 12:16 (6315 days ago) @ Flecko

Hi Adrian,

With an Oris 250 in front the Fostex driver will be very different in perception and behaviour though, perhaps hobby hifi should do some tests...

Here is a link to an old post about the Fostex driver with links to 2 different PDF-files.

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=10449

Is the one PDF-file showing more honestly how that driver behaves?

I never heard the driver myself, neither did I hear the Audionirvana but to my knowledge (looking at the specifications) the last mentioned driver will not work (too low Q).

I never wanted to be part of such "limited Edition" series although, I did buy one pair of the special T90A tweeters... (looking very nice but still not tried it).

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by Flecko @, Saturday, December 02, 2006, 00:18 (6354 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

With an Oris 250 in front the Fostex driver will be very different in
perception and behaviour though, perhaps hobby hifi should do some
tests...

Yes, that would be great. They never had a spheric horn in a test!!!

Here is a link to an old post about the Fostex driver with links to 2
different PDF-files.

The link just brought me to the starting page of the forum, but I know what you mean. The worse one I is the right one. I had a telefon call with the german Fostex distributor and they told me that they just knew the "bad" one. The better looking frequency response came from the american distributor. Same driver, different measurement. Very suspicious.....

I never heard the driver myself, neither did I hear the Audionirvana but
to my knowledge (looking at the specifications) the last mentioned driver
will not work (too low Q).

What about the A N Super 8?
(Qms/Qes/Qts): 3,72 / 0,23 / 0,22

Greetings Adrian

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by Bert @, Saturday, December 02, 2006, 11:47 (6353 days ago) @ Flecko

Hi Adrain,

The link just brought me to the starting page of the forum,

That is because you're not logged-in (and missing some other new tipics too if you don't!)

That would be a better starting point... :smile:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Not logged in

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, December 02, 2006, 12:51 (6353 days ago) @ Bert

The link just brought me to the starting page of the forum,

That is because you're not logged-in (and missing some other new tipics
too if you don't!)

Hi Bert,

... which (not being logged in) already happens by automation if you are just looking at a topic for x minutes. Thus, not only at making a post (and that taking x minutes) you are logged off automatically, also at just looking too long.

Peter

Tags:

Not logged in

by Bert @, Saturday, December 02, 2006, 16:26 (6353 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,

... which (not being logged in) already happens by automation if you are
just looking at a topic for x minutes. Thus, not only at making a post
(and that taking x minutes) you are logged off automatically, also at just
looking too long.

I do not know how many minutes this is either but it takes a while...

... not able to change this either (that is the server doing that) so the only solution I can think of.... be more active and do not just stare to the screen. :grin:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by Flecko @, Saturday, December 02, 2006, 15:56 (6353 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

That is because you're not logged-in (and missing some other new tipics
too if you don't!)

Ok, now it's working :)

That would be a better starting point... :smile:

Nice, perhaps I should get it myself...someday.

Greetings Adrian

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by joel @, Friday, December 01, 2006, 21:11 (6354 days ago) @ Jaime

I've run 206esr in my 150's. I think they sound good. I think they benefit a bit from a tweeter, in my case I used Fostex T90A's. But needing a tweeter is a bit of a drag... But the AER's cost a billion dollars... I switched my Lowther PM6A-ticonals back into my Oris though, because they seem smoother to me (I wonder what I'm actually noticing?). The 206esrs have more highs, lows, and volume than my Lowthers. People say they improve after 1K hours, maybe I'll try them in my Oris again some day. In the mean time, since the Fostex can make much deeper bass thah the Lowthers, I'd like to put them in a backhorn of some sort. Seems a shame to waste their bass potential in the Oris, which cut off below 150Hz. But then how many speakers do I actually need? A lot, I guess, since I'd also like to try open-baffle. Maybe I'll yank my F200A's out of their BR boxes and bolt them to some boards... And then there are the rumored 208esrs, they might be the ones! Have fun!

Tags:

Fostex FE206ES-R

by Flecko @, Saturday, December 02, 2006, 00:45 (6354 days ago) @ joel

Hi Joel,

I've run 206esr in my 150's. I think they sound good.

Yes indeed. They realy had something. I had a job to give it back, but at last they do not work as a fullrange speaker, for my taste.

People say they improve after 1K hours,

I don't beleave that a driver changes after 1000 hours, rather the listening habits of the owner or the owner themselfes :grin:

Greetings Adrian

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread