Fostex F200A (Singular)

by chris @, Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 13:46 (6392 days ago)

Just been browsing the Fostex site, and noticed the F200A drive unit.

As I have started on the build of a pair of Singulars, I wondered if the F200A might be suitable ? It's sensitivity is lower than the Fe207 (90dB/W/m), but all other parameters look very favourable :-

fo = 30Hz
Qts = 0.32

Response plot looks smoother and more extended than the 207.

Anyone had any experience of this unit ?

Regards,
Chris.

Tags:

Fostex F200A

by Bert @, Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 14:16 (6392 days ago) @ chris

Hi Chris,

As I have started on the build of a pair of Singulars, I wondered if the F200A might be suitable ? It's sensitivity is lower than the Fe207 (90dB/W/m), but all other parameters look very favourable :-

The F200A is a very suitable driver for the Singular. Thanks for the reminder, I should have added that driver to the suitable ones some time ago... :smile:

The higher sensitivity of the FE207E is only in the higher frequencies, the F200A will do more bass...

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Fostex F200A

by chris @, Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 14:36 (6392 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Many thanks.

I'm in the UK, so I checked on the price of the F200A at Wilmslow Audio - £271, compared to £63 for the 207 ! Ouch !!

Mind you, it does look beautifully made, so I'm still tempted to get some !

Regards,
Chris.

Tags:

Fostex F200A

by Bert @, Wednesday, September 27, 2006, 15:41 (6392 days ago) @ chris

Hi Chris,

I'm in the UK, so I checked on the price of the F200A at Wilmslow Audio - £271, compared to £63 for the 207 ! Ouch !!

Yep, Alnico is not cheap...

Mind you, it does look beautifully made, so I'm still tempted to get some!

If you do then make sure that the cut-out for the driver is made for it (it needs to be a bit bigger than for the FE207E).

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Fostex F200A

by JohnK @, Saturday, September 30, 2006, 15:22 (6389 days ago) @ chris

I have used many f200as in all types of projects its a womderful driver images very well has great frequincy extension.Only week point is very high SPL in very large rooms.It des slightly benifit from a raven r1 ribbon but the cost is high for this improvement.In my audio room I have a 5 year old pair f200a, big TL, raven r1-ribbon,fostex r100t step down transformer hovland caps direct wired with tara labs ref gen 2 biwire.This system sounds so good that it made a old WW2 vet [who was hit right on the leg by a japanese morter and lost much of his hearing and leg] cry.Hes 80 and told me he has not understood anyone singing since WW2 and this so moved him to tears.I didnt have the heart to tell him the driver was produced in japan.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread