Finished Quasar MkII at home ? (BD-Design)

by damirdafish, Tuesday, August 01, 2006, 21:20 (6495 days ago)

AS I´am new at the forum, I pleased all of You to help me with the final
saerch for the end with louds.
I won a cut with looking for something ..... ( loudspeakers ) and decide for the
project of Quasar MkII.
I´ll newer heard open bufels louds. and I belive that is something ... magic ?
in that aprouch ?
For the first time that will be all
Best regards,

Tags:

Finished Quasar MkII at home ?

by Bert @, Wednesday, August 02, 2006, 09:58 (6495 days ago) @ damirdafish

Hi Damir,

AS I´am new at the forum, I pleased all of You to help me with the final
saerch for the end with louds.

Welcome to the forum!

I´ll newer heard open bufels louds. and I belive that is something ... magic ?

Open panels can be magical if you give them the space they need. The rear of such loudspeakers is open so that the sound can travel freely thus reducing colouration and adding "space" to the music.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by damirdafish, Wednesday, August 02, 2006, 23:55 (6494 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the answeres, but can You, or someone other show the picture of they own Quasar MkII they build.
I´am also interested which amplification is best sutiable with Quasars ?
I´am planing to do 300B amplification and hope that ampl.is yust for that louds?
If I decided to go in that project, where can I hear the Quasars ?

Best regards and

Ciao

Tags:

by Bert @, Thursday, August 03, 2006, 23:53 (6493 days ago) @ damirdafish

Hi Damir,

I´am also interested which amplification is best sutiable with Quasars ?
I´am planing to do 300B amplification and hope that ampl.is yust for that
louds?

Any amplifier will do well, a 300B tube amp will do very well as long as the signal-noise ratio is higher than 70dB. If it makes more noise, then you will start hearing hum or hiss...

If I decided to go in that project, where can I hear the Quasars ?

Closest to Croatia will then be Denmark, unless YOU will have them playing...

Best Regards,

Bert

--

Tags:

by ALF, Monday, August 07, 2006, 00:50 (6490 days ago) @ Bert

On Saturday, while the women were away, I needed a bit of man and dog relaxing time...
I shifted un-necessary chairs out of the way, and dragged my experimental-Quasar-like open baffles into a new position ...
I had then such that they were about 2 metres from the front wall and 1 metre from side walls (speaker centres) ... I sat about 2 metres from the speakers ... poured some wine in a glass, put my feet on the dog, and turned it up ...:cool:
Open baffles sound good in most situations ... put a good amount of air around them, and they generate amazement! ... They sound so good - I've heard a lot of speakers in my half century, but I am really in love with open baffles! If these that I have slapped together with leftover wood from other projects sound this good, well made baffles with well matched speakers will transport you to audio heaven!
If you have the opportunity to hear a pair,Damirdafish, don't miss it!
:grin:
ALF

Tags:

by damirdafish, Monday, August 07, 2006, 16:06 (6490 days ago) @ ALF
edited by unknown, Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 19:15

Hi Alf,

Many thaks for the photos and a nice explenation about open baffles :smile:
It is something new for me, because I´am looking for the last decide about loudspeakers :read: I have to finished my search and if I sell my own louds, that will be my last project.
I pleased the others owners of open baffles or ( Quasar MkII )for shearing they
own experions in projects and sending the pictures of own louds.

Best regards,

Tags:

by ALF, Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 00:42 (6489 days ago) @ damirdafish
edited by ALF, Wednesday, August 09, 2006, 04:01

Hi damirdafish,
Well, my speakers are not really Quasars, but are open baffles I put together based on the same design as an experiment before I settled down and built the real thing ... Although these are "temporary" baffles, I have been so pleased with the result that the "temporary" is lasting a lot longer than I had intended ... I will get around to permanent baffles one of these days soon, but I've been busy, and happy, so I prefer wine and listening to woodwork tools at present ...
The finish is pretty rough ... and the room pretty messy ... The speakers are set on a diamond pattern across the room - I mean, the corner is between them - you can't tell in the pic, but they are about 800mm from the walls, and at abot 45 degrees to them ...
the full range driver is a Visaton B200 ...I'm using a little NAD 320BEE for the main amp ... an old more powerful NAD Monitor power amp for the bass - fed via an active crossover coming in at about 80Hz ... I'm thinking of changing the 320BEE for a "Charlize" chip amp in future, and perhaps using a tube preamp (if I ever get around to it)
Cheers
ALF

PS - in this photo the B200s are not yet installed - the speakers here are BG20s - I was waiting for the B200s to arrive at that stage - I enlarged the holes and screwed in the B200s shortly after I took this pic - but I was too lazy to take another .
There is a world of difference between the B200s and the BG20s ...

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by goon-heaven, Wednesday, August 16, 2006, 16:55 (6480 days ago) @ ALF

Hi ALF,

Nice looking setup!

Do you run the B200s full range or is there a high pass filter?

What are the bass drivers? and are they EQed? What is low pass filter?

What do you like about the sound? How loud do they go?

Best regards
Steve

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by ALF, Thursday, August 17, 2006, 01:08 (6480 days ago) @ goon-heaven

Hello Goon-heaven
The B200s are run full-range, and they do go remarkably low by themselves.
I feed the bass drivers via an active crossover - at present I'm using a Behringer ... not really designed to be "hi fi", but at these frequencies I can detect no noise ... the crossover allows a limited amount of eq, and this seems to be sufficient ... the sound is very smooth amd well integrated - goes down to below 40 smooth and then starts to roll off ... 30 still sounds good.
I have contemplated buying an identical crossover and another power amp identical to the existing bass amp and powering each bass speaker separately, rolling one in lower than the other, and providing more power to the lowest freq of the pair ... it'd take a bit of playing with to smooth out, and I'm not really sure if it's a good idea ... ... ... we'll see one of these days when I get around to tweaking - I just can't leave well enough alone :grin:
The Bass drivers are mismatched, but this doesn't seem to matter ... each baffle has one 15" veteran Fane bass driver plus one P-Audio 15" bass ... not an ideal situation having different breeds of speakers, but it does work well and does sound good.
I prefer the sound of a (burned in) B200 to that of any Fostex I have heard (not that Fostex don't sound good, because they do - but we all have subjective preferences) The B200s are very dynamic very detailed speakers ... efficient, and can play very loud.
These coupled with the 2 big bass speakers in open baffle give a solid sound with punchy and "authoritative" bass ... OBs give a sound that can be jaw-droppingly "realistic" ... a big sweet area ... not so affected by the room ... and no trace of boxiness - perhaps not the sound for everyone, but I love it (and I'm not alone) ... well recorded live performances can make you feel you are really "there" ... and they do play loud enough to deafen if you are so inclined ...
...BUT ... they would sound a whole heap better if they were in the proper Quasar type baffles rather than my knocked together temporary jobs ...

... but now, it's time for a cup of coffee ...
Cheers :cool:
ALF

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by goon-heaven, Thursday, August 17, 2006, 11:47 (6480 days ago) @ ALF

Hello ALF,

Thank you for your detailed description - it oozes with euthusiasm and pleasure.

Hope you dont mind all these questions.

How does drumkit sound through your OBs compared to the real thing? (I ask as my son has built Orions, and I found them soggy protraying that initial impact).

Does the Behringer introduce a time delay onto the bass?

What audible benefits do you anticipate by using "proper" Quasar type baffles?

Best regards
Steve

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by ALF, Friday, August 18, 2006, 00:58 (6479 days ago) @ goon-heaven

Hello Steve
Drum kit sounds much better from these OBs than it did from my bass-reflex or transmission-line speakers ... It is also more realistic than from my back-horns (but these are self designed and have a few flaws so not a really good comparison). The attack of the drum sound - especially the middle range and top end is very realistic indeed ... The bass end is also good, not soggy or boxy, but still doesn't sound near as good as the real thing - I did have a graphic-equaliser in the system for a while, and giving a reasonable eq boost at in some of the lower bands did improve the kick drum punch, but overall I think the speakers sound better without the g-eq. Drum kit is an extreme test of speaker fidelity, and I have never heard a speaker really do the job (and I've heard a lot of speakers over the last few decades)... some get pretty close, and I think that is as good as we can expect ... I'd rate these OBs as "good"... perhaps with different bass drivers this can be improved further, but I have an arthritic condition that makes it very painful to remove my wallet from my pocket:wink:

The Behringer introduces no time delay ... this one is not the top of the line digital type ... you can play around with delay and all sorts of things with these ... but I'm a simple man (People often come up to me and say "I think you're a bit simple Anthony" - so I must be :wink: )

The "experimental" baffles are Quasar dimensions (in 2d), but they are only a single sheet of mdf braced around the edges ... the fullrange speaker shares the same baffle as the bass speakers.I have off-set the drivers from the centre line to give a different travel distance around the sides of the baffle - I don't know if this is really necessary.
The realQuasars have the great benefit of baffle mass, and I think this is something that can't be underestimated. I suspect the mass of the "proper" baffles will damp those vibrations from the bass drivers to very good effect.
Vibrations are easily felt if one holds one's hand against this present baffle whilst playing music loudly (as I am often want to do ... teenagers and young adults complain about the volume of their father's music, I'm proud to say)... anyway, at reasonable to loud levels the vibrations in the baffle are very apparent. Getting rid of these vibes will clean up any last bits of nastiness induced in the full-rangers.
An alternative is to magnet mount the full-range such that the frame of the driver is isolated from the baffle - or perhaps to mount on a separate baffle isolated from the main.
As well as damping vibrations, I'd say the sheer elegance of the "real" Quasar baffles has to be a big plus in the aesthetic pleasure gained from sitting in front of them (with a glass, a bottle, some Swiss chocolates, a dog and comfy slippers as well :grin: ).

Cheers
ALF (AKA Anthony)

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by Bert @, Friday, August 18, 2006, 10:02 (6479 days ago) @ ALF

Hi Anthony,

... Drum kit is an extreme test of speaker fidelity, and I have never heard a speaker really do the job (and I've heard a lot of speakers over the last few decades)...

You've listened at the wrong places.... :wink:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by ALF, Friday, August 18, 2006, 10:14 (6479 days ago) @ Bert

You've listened at the wrong places.... :wink:

Bert
You might well be right, but I'm too poor to be tempted at present - don't unsettle me! :grin:

AnthonyLF

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by goon-heaven, Friday, August 18, 2006, 12:47 (6479 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

You've listened at the wrong places....

So which places do I need to listen to drum kits through speakers?

Best regards
Steve

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by Bert @, Friday, August 18, 2006, 13:01 (6479 days ago) @ goon-heaven

Hi Steve,

So which places do I need to listen to drum kits through speakers?

Here at my place would be a good start... :smile:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by goon-heaven, Friday, August 18, 2006, 16:43 (6478 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Here at my place would be a good start...

Oh, what a nice surprise. Thanks for the invite.

Let me get us moved to France first, and get some heating in our new home lest we perish this winter. I hope I can contact you later this coming winter to take up your kind offer.

Best regards
Steve

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by goon-heaven, Friday, August 18, 2006, 12:43 (6479 days ago) @ ALF

Hi Alf,

Thanks for the very detailed answers.

...The attack of the drum sound - especially the
middle range and top end is very realistic indeed

Sounds very interesting.

The Behringer introduces no time delay...

I asked as I had heard that they had an inherent time delay. So good to hear thats not the case.

An alternative is to magnet mount the full-range such that the frame of
the driver is isolated from the baffle - or perhaps to mount on a separate
baffle isolated from the main.

I think that would be my favorite.

...with a glass, a bottle, some Swiss chocolates, a
dog and comfy slippers as well

Ah, a man who knows how to listen in comfort.

Best regards
Steve

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by ALF, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 01:02 (6478 days ago) @ goon-heaven

The Behringer introduces no time delay...

I asked as I had heard that they had an inherent time delay. So good to
hear thats not the case.

Well Steve, I can't absolutely guarantee that my assertion that there is no time delay is 100% true, but that is my perception, and also what I have been told ... I'm hoping it's true - in the mean time ignorance is bliss ... there certainly appears to be no delay ...

Speaking of delay I think it's mainly that little delay between receiving the "front wave" and the "back wave" that gives the OB concept the addictive character it has.

Bert - if you are reading out there, can you comment on symmetry versus assymetry in Open Baffles? ... in these experimental baffles of mine I offset the drivers to give a different wave travel distance on either side of the baffle ... I have made quite a few OBs over the last few years, and I'm not convinced that this assymetrical driver placement is necessary (but then I'm not absolutely certain that it isn't)... the fact that you have made the placement symmetrical in the Quasars answers this question I guess, but just to be sure ...all this theory muddies my waters considerably :wink:

ALF (on a sunny Saturday morning, feeling just downright irresponsible and in need of multiple espressos):grin:

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by Bert @, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 10:20 (6478 days ago) @ ALF

Hi Alf,

Bert - if you are reading out there, can you comment on symmetry versus
assymetry in Open Baffles? ... in these experimental baffles of mine I
offset the drivers to give a different wave travel distance on either side
of the baffle ... I have made quite a few OBs over the last few years, and
I'm not convinced that this assymetrical driver placement is necessary
(but then I'm not absolutely certain that it isn't)... the fact that you
have made the placement symmetrical in the Quasars answers this question I
guess, but just to be sure ...all this theory muddies my waters
considerably :wink:

Theory is only useful if you have all the related data to work with. And that is where most people go wrong, most people only use limited data and hope that the rest will work out well. Same here... simply because it is impossible to have all data and simulate what is happening.

I usually start building things and develop on the fly. I do not know if it makes an important difference when the drivers are symmetrical or not, with the Quasar I do not have problems due to their linear placement or even with their relative sharp corners.

Perhaps the width, the depth and the "tube" help eachother cancelling out possible errors?

In theory it would be better to mis-align the drivers and have rather large rounded corners (small angled corners do not make any difference). Facing one bass driver to the opposite site also helps reducing distortion but that does not look "cool" unless you completely cover that driver (reducing free air movement again...).

Compromises, compromises....

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by ALF, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 14:15 (6478 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert
I think you are sailing the audio sea like a sensible and experienced sound sailor should... I do think the craftsman - musical approach is always going to be more satisfying and sucessful than the theoretical-technician route.
I was thinking that the thickness and the 'tube' effects were going to have unique positive musical effects ...
... hmmm
... bed-time I think - up early tomorrow ...no time for thinking now ...
:smile:
AnthonyLF

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 13:54 (6478 days ago) @ ALF

The Behringer introduces no time delay ...

Hi,

Pardon me for jumping in, but did you attach a scope to it ?

These devices have a typicle delay of 20ms ... Not good for drumkits, drums or whatever.:cool:
And *if* you'd attach a scope, the device would be out of the mix in seconds ... because of the noise you'll see.:sad:

Peter

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by ALF, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 14:09 (6478 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Pardon me for jumping in, but did you attach a scope to it ?

No

And *if* you'd attach a scope, the device would be out of the mix in
seconds ... because of the noise you'll see.:sad:

In that case Peter, I'm glad I didn't do it ... :grin: Dangerous things scopes...

Really, perhaps it's because of the driver placement (or perhaps because I'm gettin old and deaf) I really can't tell ... there is that delay between front and back as well - I haven't calculated what that might be (and doubt if I will), but that will complicate the issue as well ... and I haven't bothered to measure this room and its various modey things either (another scary concept)...
But anyway, I still stand by my claim made earlier that drumkit, even though not 'perfect', sounds better in this OB arrangement than I have heard in most speakers...

Wine time - then bed ...
Cheers
ALF

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 14:36 (6478 days ago) @ ALF

Hi alf,

In that case Peter, I'm glad I didn't do it ... :grin: Dangerous things
scopes...

True, true ... When I brought it home, I told my wife "now war is on" :smile:

Really, perhaps it's because of the driver placement (or perhaps because
I'm gettin old and deaf) I really can't tell ... there is that delay
between front and back as well - I haven't calculated what that might be
(and doubt if I will), but that will complicate the issue as well ... and

I have read a few posts of you, and it looks like you kind of have the same battle with "a" (any) system as I do. So yes, you could make good use of the delay (if there), if it matches the distance between woofer and the other stuff. That's what I did myself (finding a Behringer nevessary back then) in order to "like" the measured delay. But then later I found the noise ... and now the Behringer is in the attic :grin:

I haven't bothered to measure this room and its various modey things
either (another scary concept)...

You should ! I mean, have a Behringer (oh, again) 8000 mice fed into someting like RoomEQWizard, will teach you a LOT. And again, reading from your posts it would really be useful to you. Why ? well, because you (seem to) unintendedly make use of cancelling out low frequencies, therewith (possibly !!) having the experience of a more tight bass. This, while in the mean time your room will have standing waves at the lower frequencies which lower frequencies -just-should-be-there as long as the standing waves are eliminated (oh, I read a 2003 post from you somewhere).
These kind of measurements will tell you theoretically what happens when you toe-in or -out the speakers, change the distance from the wall etc. etc. You could also end up with having one speaker a bit more off the wall(s) than the other, just to shift standing waves.
Note that the usual common audiophile isn't bothered by standing waves as much as the casual HT subwoofer idiot. That's where I learned :wink:

Btw other thing : you probably know this one : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/OBS.htm, but if not you might find it interesting.

Regards, and have good wines overthere ! (I'll have some at lunch then :grin: ).
Peter

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by ALF, Sunday, August 20, 2006, 10:02 (6477 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by ALF, Sunday, August 20, 2006, 10:16

Thanks Peter for your reply.

I have always purposely approached this hifi (sometimes "hifi", if you get what I mean) hobby in a kind of luddite fashion - I have avoided too many measurements and theories, slavishly hanging on to the old-fashioned idea that my ears will tell me all I really want to know ... perhaps in my mind I see myself as a reincarnation of a mastor violin maker or some-such :wink: - in reality, nothing could be further from the truth ... I have reached the age where my ear hairs are sprouting and, co-incident with that, my personal frequency response is falling away.

I have been very restless with all my playing systems over the past few decades (except for a lull in listening activity when the children were very small) - I am a serial tweaker ... I can leave nothing alone ... I always end up fixing things - usually fixing things that are not broken - an usually against my own good advice.
I really enjoy moving my speakers around trying to get them to sound as I think they should ... always a very subjective target, pursued in a very haphazard fashion.
When I got into OBs, I discovered a whole new world of pleasurable frustration.

I have often raved on that OBs are friendlier when it comes to speaker placement (and as you can see from this post I do rave on quite a lot ... I'm a clergyman - we're like that y'know:wink: ) ... The truth is, according to my observations, that open baffle speakers are the most affected by positioning unless they have a lotof space around them - they are able to be tuned like musical instruments using walls and corners to advantage (or vice-versa.
I have my speakers placed at different distances from their respective surrounds ... I have taken pains to make sure the placement of everything in my room is assymetrical ... this really does seem to be quite important ...
Just a short while ago I tried them out placed parallel to the back wall, and equidistant to the side walls - the bass was not very nice ... a wee bit of toe-in, and moving one away from the side wall by about 10cm tidied the bottom end up very nicely.

BTW the Behringer crossover rolls the bass in at about 80 - 90Hz ... I tried it at 200, and it sounded awful...

Rooms I think tend to be the most ignored piece of audio equipment ... if we were really smart, we'd start treating our rooms from day one, rather than spending up big on equipment and sticking it in a location where it can never work well.

I hate to say this, but you are right - I should measure my room and my gear ... but I'm reluctant to do so ... ... besides, my friend with the measuring gear is now 800km away in my home state - I don't know anyone here that I wouldn't have to pay (I'm a tight wad).

I agree about the audiophiles and the HT sub idiots - they are of different species ... most of the real audio nerds I know love a few standing waves and try to exploit them if they can... I have met a few systems that would have no appreciable bass at all if not for room interaction...

Thanks for the link ... I am familiar with that site, and have mulled over a print out of it a couple times. I have used it while thinking about OBs in the past ...

I'm sorry for rambling on so long about not too much ... it's Sunday afternoon, and I have preached a couple of times already today, and I tend to get a wee bit irrational (or so my wife tells me :blush: ) on Sunday afternoons... besides, if you can't ramble on among friends, where can you ramble on?:smile:
The rest of the day is my own ... I intend to use it in the company of some South Australian wine and a piece of salmon ... I know that people say "white wine with fish", but that is another theory I have little respect for ... I think a red - perhaps a Pinot Noir this evening (I have asked the fish, and the fish doesn't seem to mind :grin: )

Have a happy day
AnthonyLF

Tags:

ALFs OBs

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Sunday, August 20, 2006, 12:44 (6477 days ago) @ ALF

Hi Anthony,

Nice stories you have, containing life's wisdom. About the sprouting ... I know it !:grin:
Just yesterday I asked my 7 year old son -in order to prepare him for an audiophile happy future- that if he could hear high tones which shouldn't be there i.e. are aNoying, he should tell me instantly ... That's life ...

Again you seem to be earlier with the wines than we do, and yes, I prefer white wines with red meat. I think it's allowed for over 10 years now. :smile:

Like you, I once had a living room with speakers and a corner of the room in the middle. I couldn't psychologically stand it. I don't think it helped either. :wink:

About your findings about OB speakers and the placement in the room being just more important ... wouldn't that be logical ? I'd even say you will suffer from phase distortions earlier, having more direct reflections behind the speaker ...

But now hear this :

A few years ago I moved to a new house, and the listening room is actually too large not to have reflections and "hollow" sound at speaking etc.
For a long time I was in search for affordable solutions for bass traps and other damping material. This search took so long, that the solution came by itself. But I think you can't guess how ...
Well, I "just" improved the sound from the equipment.

That I know a few things about calibrating a room (I even bought the equipments needed) is not for nothing : it's because it was just needed, surely after I bought myself two subwoofers, which I use for listening to music. That's the standing waves all over the place story;
These standing waves are just easily measurable, so they were really there and could be visualized on the PC and on the scope. Sidenote : when you have two subwoofers, the problems from them - as well as the calibration is a 100 times more difficult, because they cancel eachother out - or add at standing waves places (which are typicle small areas in the room).

At the moment I was happy with the calibration (except for the (btw inaudible) delay and noise the parametric equalizer added, I bought the TwinDAC, as a replacement for my AudioNote DAC. Things were so much different because of that (mainly in the sub-low area), that I had to re-do the calibration, which I couldn't properly do anymore in the time I gave myself for that (a few weekends). And then ... it turned out that I could leave the equalizer out, with not any difficulty in the room anymore.

This is a very strange phenomenon, and above all unofficial. I have a few theories why this can happen though, and let's say that when the bass tones are not straight but more fuzzy, this adds GC times of more difficulty in the room. Think a bit of this : a straight, say, 24Hz tone, may create a standing wave of a surface of 10cm2 (I just guess the 10cm2, but I think someone with knowledge could calculate the "thickness" of a wave, once it creates a knot somewhere). However, when the straight 24Hz tone degrades into a wobbling 22-26 Hz tone, this is, say, 6 times the 10cm2, and is therefore much more easy to encounter (at e.g. the sweatspot).

There's much more "science" to this, like I could let you feel the straightness of bass sounds (normal music), by putting your hand on the subwoofer's driver, immediately letting you know how more straight the waves "feel" with less jitter opposed to more jitter. Jitter then, as one of the (btw very important) components of better sound (and which can be controlled by me, to a certain degree).

Sprouts (of various kinds) or not, when you attach a cheap second hand scope to your loudspeaker cables towards the bass driver(s), and feed all with a continuous sinus, you just can SEE what is better (for source equipment etc.), because you will SEE the wave. If you -as a next step- would attach the scope (at it's second input) to a microphone, catching that same wave (at various points in the room if you like), you would SEE what the driver / speaker and room make of it ...

If this is not theoretical non-sense, I don't know anymore, but this is the way I work, because this is the basis (I mean : for practice there's no one single sinus tone, but if one tone already works out wrongly ...).
Fact is : I could show you a SQUARE wave IN AIR, sent out by the PC, converted by the DAC, electrically transmitted through cables, put out by the speaker, caught by the microphone (sent back to the PC blahblahblah), a phenomenon which already fails in my old upsampling AudioNote DAC ... (read : only Sinuses come from that).

Moral : whether square waves (and variants) exist in real life or not (with my saying that a synthesizer is real life already), it's better to show them (sound them) if they are there. It needs measuring to see the differences in the first place, and it is exactly this making me buy the TwinDAC.
And this is where all changed (which comes to the Non-Oversampling theory -> Oversampling destroys the sound).

Regards,
Peter

Tags:

by damirdafish, Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 19:15 (6488 days ago) @ damirdafish

Hi Alf,

Many thaks for the photos and a nice explenation about open baffles :smile:

It is something new for me, because I´am looking for the last decide about loudspeakers :read: I have to finished my search and if I sell my own louds, that will be my last project.

I pleased the others owners of open baffles or ( Quasar MkII )for shearing they own experions in projects and sending the pictures of own louds.

Best regards,

Tags:

by Mika K @, Wednesday, August 16, 2006, 14:31 (6481 days ago) @ damirdafish

Hi all,

I currently have large and bulky OB's with PHY-HP units and since my wife doesn't like the looks of those I'm looking some smaller OB/Dipole based solution. Find information about the Quasar mkII and now I'm also considering them to be one option for my next OB style speakers. I prefer dynamic, open and transparent realistic sound and have a room size about 5mx6m. So I guess Quasars could work nicely.

Allready wrote Bert some questions by email but if someone has enough time to write some opinions about the speakers and perhaps information about the room placement and system components they like to be used with, I'd be grateful.

Br,

Mika K, Finland

Tags:

by ALF, Thursday, August 17, 2006, 01:12 (6480 days ago) @ Mika K

Mika
Did you have pics of your speakers on the internet?
I seem to recall seeing some beautiful OBs built by someone with a name very like yours ...
:smile: ALF

Tags:

by Mika K @, Thursday, August 17, 2006, 08:57 (6480 days ago) @ ALF

Mika
Did you have pics of your speakers on the internet?
I seem to recall seeing some beautiful OBs built by someone with a name
very like yours ...
:smile: ALF

I don't know about that beautiful part :grin: but I guess that picture of the old OB configuration of my system has been in Fullrange-forum sometime ago. Here's a bit more fresh picture.

[image]

Mika K

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread