What about AER? (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 13:23 (6579 days ago)

Hi All,

Pity that people do not discuss their feelings on this forum and ask or "complain" only direct by email.

With the introduction of the new Oris 250 range (not yet available though) I only finalised the version for 8" full-range drive units and one for one specific compression driver (the only driver I have explored and tuned for good sound in combination with my own bass system).

I managed this with the BMS 4592ND compression driver using a specific filter technique and several modifications to the driver itself which I will not explain to the public. Too many hours and money spend on that...

I have no idea how these horns will perfom with other compression drivers and if these can be mated well with them. I guess they can but it won't be easy, compression drivers have some serious problems which has to be solved first to make them sing...

The needed parts to be able to deliver a completed horn for 2" compression drivers is now in production, when I have all the parts (including filters and drivers) on stock then I will add these for sale on the BD-Design pages.

Okay, next issue. My present enthousiasm about the success with the BMS drive units does not mean that these wipe the floor with the other Oris horns using AER drive units. It is simply another way to achieve a musical speaker system and as usual, these speakers are compromised too. There is no perfection!

Which compromise is the best for you can only be decided by listening to this yourself.

The Oris 250 with the BMS compression driver and related filter is the best compression driver system I have heard so far (in terms of integration and musicality).

The Oris 250 with AER MD3 drive units, in combination with the new phase plugs, is the best sounding front loaded full-range driver system I have heard.

I am enjoying them both just as much for what they can achieve given the used principle... and for what it is worth, I like to provide the most optimal Oris horn to everyone with his own ideal.

I can now provide very good sounding horns for not only full-range and midrange drive units but also for people who prefer compression drivers...

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

What about AER?

by Gasper, Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 14:27 (6579 days ago) @ Bert

Hi All,

Uf, I was worried that I must change all:confused:

Are the new plugs suitable fot 150/DX3 combo?

Sorry to contact You so little but I extremely enjoying music now with the new Reference filters (first cap 2,2uF).:dancing:

Regards and suports (mentally):bey: ,

Gasper.

Tags:

What about AER?

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 15:34 (6579 days ago) @ Gasper

Hi Gasper,

Are the new plugs suitable fot 150/DX3 combo?

Yes, they sure are! :ok:

Sorry to contact You so little but I extremely enjoying music now with the
new Reference filters (first cap 2,2uF).

No need for excuses, providing tips and parts to people so that they can enjoy listening more and more is what I like to do most.

If you're happy then so am I... :smile:

ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

What about AER?

by Niels van der Linden @, Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 14:50 (6579 days ago) @ Bert

Can you talk a bit about the theory behind compression drivers, and what are their strong and weak points and why?

At a spec page of one of the compression drivers you mentioned, it looked like it was a two-way driver. Is it flat-phase, like Fostex/AER/etc (dual cone), or is the signal split with a filter, like TaNoy (dual concentric).

If you're using passive filtering, how does that not hurt the sound; as this is one of the strong points of the AER system/dual cone type systems.

Tags:

What about AER?

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 15:17 (6579 days ago) @ Niels van der Linden

Hi Niels,

Can you talk a bit about the theory behind compression drivers, and what
are their strong and weak points and why?

The strong point of compression drivers is their speed, dynamics and very high sensitivity. How this works in theory can be explained better by others, I usually do not care how things work exactly as long as it does work as it should... :smile:

Weakness is already implemented in the name "Compression". About 80% of the radiating dome or ring is covered or closed giving more pressure back to the diaphragm resulting in higher efficiency but also less "freedom" in sound.

At a spec page of one of the compression drivers you mentioned, it looked
like it was a two-way driver. Is it flat-phase, like Fostex/AER/etc (dual
cone), or is the signal split with a filter, like TaNoy (dual
concentric).

The 4592ND drivers I am using are coaxial designs. A midrange and tweeter mounted in the same housing. This has a major advantage of being a point source like full-rangers and therefore possible to create a filter without the negative impact a "normal" multi-way system with all drivers on top of each other and radiating from different places... the wave front looks real weird and completely different on every angle.

If you're using passive filtering, how does that not hurt the sound; as
this is one of the strong points of the AER system/dual cone type systems.

Yep, I am using passive filtering and that hurts the sound but it gives freedom to tune the tonal balance towards perfection (if possible) or taste.

A full-range system like AER is basically also a 2-way system but then using an acoustical filter deviding the main cone (mid-range) and the whizzer (tweeter).

A compression driver is more dynamic and more detailed compared to even the best full-range drive units but it needs a filter. Compromises, compromises.... :wacko:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

New phase plugs

by Frode, Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 23:07 (6578 days ago) @ Bert

The Oris 250 with AER MD3 drive units (and also with the MD2 and MD1 drive
units in combination with the new phase plugs) is the best sounding front
loaded full-range driver system I have heard.

Do you know when the new phase plugs will be available and how much they will cost?

Frode

Tags:

New phase plugs

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 23:55 (6578 days ago) @ Frode

Hi Frode,

Do you know when the new phase plugs will be available and how much they
will cost?

I have no idea when these will be ready. First I will get the first production one to check and if all is well then the rest of my order will be finished after my confirmation. My guess is that this will take several weeks. As soon as I know more about delivery then I will inform you all about it.

The price will be 79 Euro the pair (excl. VAT).

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread