BMS drivers.... at last! (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Thursday, April 13, 2006, 17:02 (6590 days ago)

Hi All,

I just received the drivers from BMS. This means that I can start working on those within the new Oris 250 horns!!

Something new to play with this Easter weekend... :grin:

Here is a picture of both drivers "coupled", just to compare their visible appearance. :cool:

[image]

I'll keep you all posted about my experiments.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

BMS drivers.... at last!

by jeno @, Friday, April 14, 2006, 20:19 (6589 days ago) @ Bert

Hello Bert!

Thanks for a great site!

A while ago you wanted tips for compression drivers that may be used in the Oris 250 horn.

I just wonder if you know about of the Cogent field coil compression drivers?

The Cogent guys still work on their horns but the drivers are out on the market (I think.) Pricing on the Cogent compression drivers is $15,000 per pair for the DS-1428 midrange/high frequency drivers and $17,000 per pair for the DS-1448 bass drivers.

I think the DS-1428 has flat respons from about 200 or 300 Hz up to at least 8kHz, and work well without a tweeter.

These drivers are pretty expencive, but if you're going to travel down the compression driver road, I guess that your system deserves nothing less!:cool:

Tags:

BMS drivers.... at last!

by Bert @, Saturday, April 15, 2006, 16:52 (6588 days ago) @ jeno

Hi Jeno,

I just wonder if you know about of the Cogent field coil compression
drivers?

I am aware of Cogent and I have them in the back of my head (not literary though....). :smile:

I'll first experiment with the "budget" drivers though, tuned and filtered to my idea (and within my horns of course). All compression driver systems I've heard so far were not the best (in terms of integration and musicality) but these type of drivers do things that full-range drivers can't do well. That is the main reason why I am exploring those to see to which level I can take it... :wink:

I just finished the first setup with the BMS 4592ND's and even with the complex filter used (crossing at 220Hz!), the results are already pretty amazing in terms of speed and detail without loosing integration! :cool:

This is reality:

[image]

It will take more listening time to be objective though, all used parts need to burn in for a while (all things are new!).

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread