Bert’s subs with back-loaded horns (BD-Design)

by DK @, Wednesday, April 12, 2006, 01:18 (6592 days ago)

Hi all,
I just wanted to share my impressions about BD15 based subs coupled with my back loaded horns. Well, they sound wonderful :smile:. I was really concerned of the integration problem but I was probably lucky this time and these subs blended in just nice. Another thing is that I hate “boommy” sound but these drivers are really something. The sub added more body into the picture without blurring it off or bringing something artificial. To be short - I love the result:clapping:. Without subs my system is great. With them I can simply afford more in terms of musical repertoire to really enjoy.

For all the people having back loaded horns and thinking of improving their usually (and naturally) “weakfish” low end – Wrap couple of BD15 into a good quality vented boxes, power them up with the fast SS amp and you won’t be disappointed.

[image]

Thanks again Bert for your time and support in all my questions.

Dmitry

Tags:

Bert’s subs with back-loaded horns

by unknown, Wednesday, April 12, 2006, 18:00 (6591 days ago) @ DK

Hi Dmitry
Totally agree, I have them running with my Hedlunds.
The BD15s also reward improvements in the amplifier that drives them, even when used just for low frequencies. I use the Sugden A21 Class A amplifier.
Regards Chris

Tags:

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, April 13, 2006, 18:28 (6590 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Dmitry
Totally agree, I have them running with my Hedlunds.
The BD15s also reward improvements in the amplifier that drives them, even
when used just for low frequencies. I use the Sugden A21 Class A
amplifier.
Regards Chris

Hey Y'all,

Chris was kind enough to invite me to his home to hear his system last time I was in England. His combination of Hedlunds with AER drivers and BD15 woofers sounded excellent. Exciting without being exaggerated, coherent and all of one voice, most impressive.

Don Reid

Tags:

by unknown, Saturday, April 15, 2006, 10:57 (6588 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don
Thanks for the compliments.

I think the system is even better now that I have had a chance to play with it in its new room.

Improvements include:
1. Change of 200wpc Pro amp for Sugden A21
2. Patient adjustment of the Heds, subs, and tweeters to get one central image.
3. Upgrade from woodscrews to Allen bolts to secure the DX4s
4. Installation of wool felt behind the drivers to allow playing at higher volumes without the 'confusion' you get from internally reflected frequencies.

Cheers Chris

Tags:

by DK @, Friday, April 14, 2006, 04:22 (6590 days ago) @ unknown

The BD15s also reward improvements in the amplifier that drives them, even
when used just for low frequencies. I use the Sugden A21 Class A
amplifier.

Nice to hear I'm not alone :)
I run subs with BD30-like amps (chip amp with quality PSU). Surprisingly good!:yes: I respect Sugden A21. Not cheap though :).

What filter parameters have you end up with? (I mean R & C values)

Regards,
Dmitry

Tags:

by unknown, Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 12:14 (6319 days ago) @ DK

What filter parameters have you end up with? (I mean R & C values)

Regards,
Dmitry

I started with Berts recommendation, went all round the houses changing values and ended up where I started:grin: :grin:
http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=9169

Dont forget to try reversing the sub polarities at each change:wink:

Cheers Chris

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread