TwinDAC+ with Foobar... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Sunday, April 09, 2006, 11:06 (6595 days ago)

Hi All,

I was playing around with Foobar to see if there is anything that can be done to improve the signal going to the TwinDAC+...

Perhaps it is just me but I have found a major difference in detail (transparancy) with very complex music. The basic settings are still the same as descibed on the "Jukebox" page but now with deleted DLL files from the components directory of Foobar which I normally not use for playback and restarted Foobar with a minimum set of components....

The only DLL's still present in that directory are:

foo_input.dll
foo_out_dsound_ex.dll (DirectSound v2.0)
foo_ui_std.dll

Somehow the other DLL's (perhaps not all but to be sure...) do interfere with the signal when loaded into memory. :confused:

Please give it a try and let me know if this brings you the same improvements I am hearing on my system.

Note: do not replace the removed DLL's to another directory (you have to delete them!), somehow these are still found and loaded into memory.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

TwinDAC+ with Foobar...

by Bert @, Monday, April 10, 2006, 09:31 (6594 days ago) @ Bert

Hi All,

I just found out that there is a new foobar version. I have downloaded this version and compared it with the previous one. The older one sounds better, mainly because I can turn off the volume control which is not an option in the new version!

So, for optimal results get the older one which I have uploaded to my server. Here is a direct link to get that version.

foobar2000 v0.83

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Foobar v8 -> asio

by goon-heaven, Wednesday, April 12, 2006, 13:16 (6592 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Followed your tip, and deleted a bucketload of dlls leaving

foo_input_std.dll
foo_output_asio(dll).dll
foo_ui_std.dll

I have not reverted back to old setup for A - B testing, but my impression are that instruments in uncluttered music seem to have more solidity - more musicality.

Thanks for the tip.
Steve

Tags:

TwinDAC+ with Foobar...

by DeMarko @, Thursday, April 13, 2006, 17:09 (6590 days ago) @ Bert

Hi all!

Yep, tried it, and confirm that it does sound better: more body and cleaner sounding in my system.

By the way the other noticable improvements I get are when I
- disconnect the laptop from the mains and run it on betteries. Significant improvement.
- play music from the laptop (vs. from external hard disk connected via USB2.0 to the laptop). This is a mystery to me so far and I would really like to know how to eliminate this since the notebook hard drive is too small for my music even for the critical soundwise classical/jazz/ethnic collection. Theoretically the info is buffered to the laptop memory anyway so the loss of info is probably happenning during the transfer via cable. Ahgg, doesn't make sense but I do hear it... any similar experiences?

Dmitry.

Tags:

TwinDAC+ with Foobar...

by Bert @, Thursday, April 13, 2006, 17:33 (6590 days ago) @ DeMarko

Hi Dmitry,

Yep, tried it, and confirm that it does sound better: more body and
cleaner sounding in my system.

Great, that means that I am not grazy....

Another improvement can be achieved by disabling the network card (and probaly everything else you do not use like the modem if present...)

By the way the other noticable improvements I get are when I
- disconnect the laptop from the mains and run it on betteries. Significant improvement.

Yes, same here... :)

- play music from the laptop (vs. from external hard disk connected via
USB2.0 to the laptop). This is a mystery to me so far and I would really
like to know how to eliminate this since the notebook hard drive is too
small for my music even for the critical soundwise classical/jazz/ethnic
collection. Theoretically the info is buffered to the laptop memory anyway
so the loss of info is probably happenning during the transfer via cable.
Ahgg, doesn't make sense but I do hear it... any similar experiences?

While you're running on batteries then your HDD is still connected to AC power and connected to the PC. Perhaps this is what is happening?

I have experienced the same and while I have a lot of CD's on HDD I mostly only listen to a limited range of records and these most favourite ones are also stored on the HDD of the Laptop.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

TwinDAC+ with Foobar...

by DeMarko @, Thursday, April 13, 2006, 18:06 (6590 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Nope, not crazy. Devoted, I'd say:) And thank you!

While you're running on batteries then your HDD is still connected to AC
power and connected to the PC. Perhaps this is what is happening?

I have experienced the same and while I have a lot of CD's on HDD I mostly
only listen to a limited range of records and these most favourite ones are
also stored on the HDD of the Laptop.

Yep, makes sense. Maybe Mr. Kemp with his wonder products or Mirko with his battery experience would have a solution for properly powered HD. Would people be interested in battery kits like that I wonder? Or maybe the solution is to use a lower powered notebook size HD's, 2.5" ones, if they can be powered from the laptop's USB without connection to the mains. They come in max 100Gb to date, though.

By the way, the loss of sound when notebook is connected to the mains happen even if you connect to Kemp's Power Source? Another area for ideas: how to feed clean power to notebooks and desktops...

Thank you Bert, as always!!:)

Cheers,
Dmitry.

Tags:

TwinDAC+ with Foobar...

by Bert @, Friday, April 14, 2006, 10:34 (6590 days ago) @ DeMarko

Hi Dmitry,

By the way, the loss of sound when notebook is connected to the mains
happen even if you connect to Kemp's Power Source? Another area for ideas:
how to feed clean power to notebooks and desktops...

The power supply of the computer/HDD generate their own noise to the mains. One reason for needing a mains conditioner is because there are many computers connected to the mains that comes into your home!

Best would be to connect the power supply of the PC's hardware to a socket elsewhere without using the Kemp conditioner for that.:wink:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread