Some Questions about the Singular (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, February 25, 2005, 09:49 (6993 days ago) @ GC

Hi Anthony,

I'm thinking of building the Singular and I have few questions. What size
room does it work best in and generally how far from the wall does it need
to be - I know this varies depending on the room but my listening room is
4m x 5m and it has a fair amount of furniture so I’m just working out if
everything will actually fit in!

I do not have much experience with the Singular is different sized rooms. Your room seems suitable for them which is not too small and not too big to stress the sound to fill the large volume. I prefer them 0.5 to 1m from the back wall, the sound is then best balanced and "open".

Can the Singular play loud? I've heard some full range speakers and they
sound nice but only at low to medium levels. I'm after a speaker that can
play a range of different music at realistic levels.

The used 8" drivers can play loud but not at disco levels, then you should think of getting an Oris system.

Which AER driver works best in the Singular? Do higher Q speakers work
better?

The development of suitable AER drivers is still in progress. From the present series I like the AERmkI the best but these are not giving a full bodied bass. It seems that this development takes an extremely long time as I have still not received any test drivers from the manufacturer for the last 6 months.

Therefore I can only suggest to use the FE207E as best balanced driver or the FE206E with an EQ-network. Later you can always upgrade to one of the newer suitable AER drivers.

The higher the Q of the drivers the more bass but don't use a driver with a Q much higher than 0.6 because then the quantity will reduce quality too much.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread