Oris 250 crossover point (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Friday, February 22, 2019, 06:37 (1884 days ago) @ Rudy81

Hi Rudy,

In anticipation of my new Oris 250's, what do you recommend for a crossover point? I will be using active filtering, so will have quite a bit of flexibility in the setup of the horns.

It depends on the behaviour of the used driver, the amount of extra or less damping materials in the rear chamber which can be closed or left open... all the above changes the behaviour in the lowest frequencies (<300Hz).

Therefore I can't dictate which crossover frequency and slope to use...

I would play with the options first for "best" sound and then measure the reponse so that you can actually see where you are. Furthermore it can be worthwhile to play with a passive crossover for the Oris horns to "boost" the output to get the Oris horn to play as low as possible and then... a 2nd order passive (coil and capacitor) crossover reacts to the impedance of the system which is fun to play with as well.

Needless to say that the impedance character highly depends on the system (open rear, used driver, damping materials).

If you're not sure then 300Hz is a "save" crossover frequency which can be tweaked down to 150-200Hz in optimal conditions (driver dependend) with a passive crossover.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread