amps (BD-Design)

by Nico, The land of wooden shoes, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 08:41 (2967 days ago)

Amps... who doesn't own at least one or more amps he/ she does not use?

Going the road to audio nirvana, many people know the craving about buying something new or stick with what you got as time goes by.
Budget plays a role for sure, as does appearance of audio gear.

What I'd like to share is that after years of experimenting with all kind of amps, I'm now convinced that it all comes down to... synergy.
I've owned expensive amps that [in the setup at that time] were a big disappointment; cheap amps however have brought me closer to audio-heaven in the past than amps costing 100 times more.

So IMO one can never say that a amp is best suited for a install, or speakersystem.
I'm not talking about the sensible stuff like don't use a 8W single ended tube amp in combination with a power-hungry 85Db efficient system if you like to play loud rockmusic.

No,I'm talking about horns in combination with the type of amp YOU think sounds best.
When I change nothing else in my system other than a amp, it sounds like a whole different setup.

Powering my active install with 3 big amps it ROCKS the house [my wife complains about paintings on the wall, not hanging horizontal when she comes home after that].
BUT with three tube amps, the sound changes to a involving experience, which keeps me on the edge of my seat until the last note.

Which sound do you prefer? It would be great to have it both ways at the same time, and that's what I'm after.

Bottom line of why I'm sharing my thoughts here; maybe you've got "the better amp" for your current system stashed away at this moment ; try it again for two weeks and then swap back to you current amp.

You might be surprised.

Two amps below; Bryston 4B and a experimental 18W Class A amp; perfect examples of two different worlds.
Hope I just encouraged you to dig up that old amp again and hook it up.

[image][image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread