Integrating the Orphean Horn into my System. (BD-Design)

by samoore @, Wednesday, September 25, 2013, 08:14 (3837 days ago) @ Kevin

I think this is a bit different situation than normal bi-amping, where you would want the two amps to have similar sonic signatures. Can we agree that, in general, SS amps control woofers a bit better due to damping factor? The issue here is that with the Oris/Orphean you are taking the speaker tap signal from the horn amp, knocking it down to line level, putting it through a low pass filter and then amplifying it again for the woofer. If you have two SET tube amps in line then you have the bass character of the horn amp feeding overlaying the bass characteristics of the second amp. This may lead to "loose" bass. The idea behind using a SS amp for the bass is that you get better control over the woofer while retaining the character of the main/horn amp. I use a 45 SET to drive my horn and then a 200W Aragon 4004 to drive the bass. It works great for me, the best of both worlds. Of course you can try any variation of amps and get good results. However, for optimum results I would listen to Bert. After owning several versions of his speakers over the last ten years I can say that he really knows his stuff. :grin:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread