Room EQ (Tweaks)

by Bert @, Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 11:11 (5126 days ago)

Being dragged into this once more and playing around yesterday at a friends place to EQ his system I found out that I was wasting my time again...at least the part where room conditions were playing their role.

What I have learned (in the past) and got confirmed again yesterday is that trying to cure room problems with an electronical device does not work on the long run...:fool:

It only seems to have cured things but that is merely your brain fooling you that you have managed to fool nature but this euforic feeling only remains for a while...

In short time you will redo the whole EQ thing again from the start because after a while your brain tells you that something must be wrong :wacko: and you will repeat this foolish behaviour until you finally found out that it does not do the things you actually want and that is sitting back and enjoy the music without being bothered about the technical aspects...

EQ-ing the room will NEVER be perfect as it will always have serious negative side affects.

If you have a very nasty listening room and room threatments (including moving speakers around and changing listening position) do not work out sufficiently then such an EQ device might give you a better compromise in the end but ONLY by removing strong peaks from the room response, NEVER add gain to strong dips as this will ALWAYS degrade the sound.

Using such a device to improve the speakers themselves is something else. My first though would be to get yourself better tuned speakers though but if that is not an option and you do not want to fool around yourself too much then please get yourself some measuring tools which show you some aspects of the things you are trying to do. Without knowing what you are doing will be equal to running circles in the dark until you finally give up...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread