Small room? (Drive Units)

by Bert @, Monday, March 30, 2009, 19:59 (5499 days ago) @ chaos

Hi Chaos,

My room is 6 by 3.5 meter.

That is not a small room and even considered as HUGE for many people... :yes:

I made a few fullrange hornspeakers before, with a very small Fostex, a smal horn with the 3 inch Fostex FE83 and a bigger horn enclosure with the 4 inch Fostex FE103. I consider the FE83 to be better sounding, with clear high frequencies, although a little to small for enough bass, while the FE103 sounded dull and not tight enough and the bass had very little detail.

I like the FE83 better too, very nice little bastard(!) but the FE103E's do not sound dull though and if the bass was not tight then blame it on the used horn design as horns usually dictate what the driver will be doing...

That's why I'm now considering the Lowthers: I like the concept of the fullrange speakers, recognize the potential, but I think it is necessary to use very high quality drivers, better than de Fostexes I used before.

A Lowther is a complete new world compared to Fostex drivers and it does not mean these are necessarily better for you though, not on all fronts at least and besides that, the drivers are rather critical to what you (can) feed them.

Quality in general can only be enjoyed or judged if it is properly implemented.

The smaller Lowthers do have some advantages over the traditional ones where some love it but others hate it...

Did you ever heard a Lowther play?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread