orphean for 220hz high-pass not too small ? (Orphean)

by Ivo, Monday, June 04, 2007, 13:46 (6170 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Angelo,

I do not have yet practical experience, i am still at the very
beginning, so i rely on others knowledge.

Right now, you rely on other people's opinions. Do you know if they are right or wrong? How will you check?

You have read a lot about horns in a very short time. I admire that and I think you may have the potential to make a really nice system some day, because you are dedicated. But you won't get anywhere just by reading about and listening to other people's opinions.

What you need, is to make some prototypes. You have to test some of the theories and highly personal opinions. Only then can you get a clear idea about how things work, how they sound, what works and what doesn't. I will tell you now, there's probably no such thing as the "only right mouth". Just as there isn't the only right throat, the only right driver, the only right material, the only right position... It's all about combinations.

The thing with Bert is, he has tried a lot of things. He actually knows, from experience, how certain materials will colour the sound, what effect a certain horn throat or horn mouth have on the frequency response. Ask him a question, he will give a solid answer. Bert's design philosophy is simple: keep it as wideband as possible and keep it living room friendly. Those are his reasons and his choices. What comes out are the Oris horns.

I respect JMLCleach as well and I have read things written by him about horns. You must keep in mind that he uses a very different horn expansion than tractrix. It gives much less loading in the lower frequencies. He will need a bigger horn to reach lower. Also, he is a cross-over artist, which means that he wants predicatble response a lot above and below the crossover point, so he can sculpt the crossover in certain interesting ways. He will desire a bigger horn for a given cutoff. Those are his reasons and his choices.

I know who your "anonymous expert" is and I know that he has a multi-way system. From memory, I think it's a 4- or 5-way system. He may reduce distortion a bit by using smaller bands for his drivers, but he introduces a lot of distortion by going multiway. Those are his reaons and his choices.

Angelo, it's time that you do experiments and find out what your reasons and choices must be!

Regards and good luck.
Ivo

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread