Frustation... (Drive Units)

by Jose Hidalgo @, Thursday, April 19, 2007, 02:10 (6216 days ago) @ Bert
edited by unknown, Thursday, April 19, 2007, 02:24

@PeterSt : thanks for that extensive post. I found it very interesting to read (you have a 290m3 room ? wow !).

And Jose, knowing Bert, he will not put out distortion graphs or anything,
because in the end it is really not about that.

Yes, I can understand. At least I have given my humble opinion (who am I also... nobody), and Bert has answered me. That's the most important.

I can tell you, Bert is not about selling, just as I am not in my own
company. I only sell to people when the "click" is there. So the implied
"take it or leave it" sounds very familiar to me.

Yes, I understand too. I had seen that. Bert is probably more a passionate than a salesperson, isn't it ? :wink:

Last thing for now : I can tell you that "we" are kind of fed up with
buying stuff with good graphs. They s*ck anyway. This world is full of
faking.

Yes, sure. But how can we do ??? If we caNot listen to a given speaker (are there any BD15 owners in the south of France ?), then T/S and graphs are all that's left for us... :cry::

----------------------------------------

@Bert : don't worry, I understand your rant, everything's OK. I didn't mean to push you : I respect you very much, and I respect all the work you do, which is obviously awesome according to the unanimous comments you get. I'd just like to explain this to you once, and if you don't agree that won't be a problem, I'll keep respecting you just the same. :wink: So, here it is :

Me and my small team of friends (I could do almost nothing alone :blush: ) need to choose a high-end driver for our application, and we need to choose it together. So like I said, we have searched almost everywhere. We have found very few good candidates (probably 3-4, not more), and to sum it up in the final shorlist we have the BD15, the TADs and something from JBL (there's also Altec and Iconicspkrs, but I don't think they'll fit the bill so let's leave them aside).

How can we choose between these drivers ? If we could listen to all of them in the same exact listening conditions, that would be easy. But of course it's impossible.

At this very moment, in other forums (DIYaudio, AVS, madisound...), we have people telling us "buy TAD, it's monitor stuff, you can't be disappointed". We have other people telling us "buy JBL, it's pro gear, you can't get better". We have also people telling us "buy BD-Design, it's totally awesome"... and people telling us "BD WHAT ? Never heard of that before". You get the point. :grin:

I, personally, have a preference for the BD15 (otherwise I wouldn't be here). But this preference is completely subjective / irrational. I've never heard a BD15 (how could I ?), and ALL I'VE GOT at the moment is that tiny little PDF with some lines of text and some pretty good T/S stuff. So how can I explain my personal preference to the rest of the team ?

Please try to put yourself in my situation : how could YOU seriously choose a driver that you don't know AT ALL (I didn't know the existence of the BD15 one month ago), simply by reading a small PDF with not much information ?

Of course there are all the wonderful comments on this forum. But like I said, there are other people in other forums telling us to buy other brands. Not easy to decide for all of us...

So that's my problem right now. If I were the only one to decide I'd probably buy a couple BD15's right now, just to try them out and see. But I'm not the only one. So in fact, all I'm asking is some kind of HELP so that I can positively influence the rest of the team, and convince them to take a small risk on buying a speaker without even seeing it before.

I hope you understand. It's not only for the measuring thing. I'm just asking for a bit of help, if it's possible. I'll do my best either way, and maybe we'll buy a pair of BD15's whatever happens. I just don't know yet. Thanks for your understanding. :wink:

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread