How to record height information? (Off Topic)

by MikeH @, Saturday, March 31, 2007, 03:24 (6257 days ago) @ Rudolf150

From memory the cd I mentioned earlier was recorded this way. They not only used fake ears - they made a whole head and the actors spoke around it.
It is a shame about the content of the recording. Sitting on a beach, walking through a forest, a summer thunderstorm, walking in the snow, these are the (non musical) things I would like to hear.

You have two sensors, you can determine amplitude, frequency and phase between them, how is the height determined from this? I would expect three sampling points in a triangle to determine the source of a sound in three dimensions. Perhaps it is something to do with the shape of our head and the way the sound changes as it goes "around the corner" to the ear that is further from the sound source.

It would be interesting to experiment with a dummy head with ears and two microphones inside. Playback would be more convincing to the brain with in-ear monitors. Would one fake head work for all people or would you need a selection of shapes for different people?

Any Audio Engineers out there who can assist?

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread