Bert's 150 bass filter - Thanks (Oris Horns)

by Tom Russell @, Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 03:51 (6247 days ago) @ MichaelW

Hi Tom.
Very interesting.
Back in my mind I´m always thinking about how to use the passive filter
instead of my acitve filters.
I´m also using an amp for the Horns, which has a natural rolloff in the
bass...........Passive filter behind the preamp with Y-circuit won't work,as Bert told me, cause te filter will work on the line to the horns too.
Not to mention the lack in gain.
Could you please tell me your setup with the passive filters ?
Thank you.
Best regards, Michael

Michael

What I have is a simple as can be Y. I normally am a hard wire guy but to facilitate setting up the new system I am temporarily using RCA plugs. I made an interconnect starting with an RCA that plugs into the CD player. There are two + wires attached to this plug, one going to the horn amp and one going to the bass filter, be it active or passive. When I changed from the active to the passive bass filter, I simply unsoldered the wires from the input connector on the active filter input and attached them to the passive filters. The passive filter is simply all of the individual components soldered together and to an RCA plug which goes to the bass amps. As you see, there is no preamp. I particularly selected the Droplet for CDs because it has an analog domain remote volume control.

Regarding the gain, it is just enough. If you want 100db+ levels, it's not there but it does play plenty loud enough so that you'll have to turn it down in order to speak to one another. I could always add a pre-amp and get another easy 20db of gain but electronics are never a sonic free ride. The system REALLY sounds good and I am not interested in changing things now. I'm a lot closer to removing all of the connectors and hard wiring everything. I realize the the phono (for which I don't currently have all of the pieces) could be a problem here but, if I figure it corrrectly, it should have more gain than the CD player does with my transformer, or perhaps a pre-pre, added to the phono stage.

BTW, if anything, I have undervalued the overall sound of this set-up.

Tom

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread