Pass EL PIPE-O with BD15? (Drive Units)

by GC, Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 19:40 (6247 days ago) @ Giovanni
edited by GC, Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 20:36

Another bad thought today.

Hi Giovanni

If you ask me, and I don't know if you do?, then a TL is not the very best choise of principle for neither the BD15s or if speed should be a feature.

A TL is an opposite of horns (and should optimally show a curved narrowing (flare-rate) similar to horns) ending with a final port of "tuning". It means the TL show a higher and higher acoustical impedance towards the lows leading to in-efficiency, need of amp power and finally long P-P travel lentghs for the drivers diaphragme and special designed VC over hanged mag. systems and installed weak magnetic force. (You can popularely say the "damping factor" is a result of the TL and not the driver it self (Big mag. force))

True is that some TL's shows some rather fine apperiodical qualities and can sound pretty dry. But they all lack "freedom", speed and articulation.

If the TL should show a wide band-pass it would not be efficient at all. If it should show efficiency it should be tuned to a very narrow bandpass and will then just show a steep peak at the tuning freq.

I think it is a general mistake to try to introduce very low frequencies into normal sized listening rooms. Don't forget how long a full wave of a 20Hz tone is. 16.5 meters. So...as we know it's best that a full wave can be enclosed in the room/box, if chaos should not be the result, then we better forget it.
What happens if we try to linearlise our speakers flat to 20 Hz the room amplification in this region may leave us with peaks and dips of 10-20 db's!!!
Only thing to do here then, is to open doors and windows the let the energy out. :shame:

CaNot be that interesting to aim at. :no:

IMO if you go ORIS, stay with the BD15's as per lay-out of DB-designs. Much research and know-how are reflected in those options.
Any of BD bass system will be superior to a TL, :wink: and may be tweaked to reach pretty low given the attention to the max P-P displacement and acceptable distortion.

:rolleyes: GC

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread