Communicating... (Forum)

by MikeH @, Saturday, March 10, 2007, 00:30 (6230 days ago) @ Bert

Perhaps we all should use simple "school" English trying to explain what
we want to share? And if that doesn't give enough options then we can post
pictures or even cartoons... :grin:

English is my first language, I read thousands of books and I am still bad at it. It is a messy, often illogical language. (their & there sound the same 2 different meanings)

I'm very impressed you all do so well.

I think you are right with the second language thing, In addition to that there is the lack of tone and emphasis in the written (typed) word. This is very common, many companies actually provide information to employees on how not to be misunderstood in email.

So English, the (almost global) language is proven to be very poor for communicating in written form.

Aside from that, you are all people who are not happy with commonly available audio equipment because it doesn't sound good enough.
I assume you would be similar personalities: very fussy, technical, passionate and analytical. (Hopefully Babelfish will have some good translations of those words for your language.)

With equipment that is so good there is very little wrong with it and a lot is right with it. So it is easier to describe the thing by what is wrong with it.
We then apply these ways of describing things to describing people associated with those things.

What I am trying to get at is we are mostly very fussy people who have many ways to mis-understand each other. In addition to that there are some people you will never get along with, If you strongly disagree with a person you dislike then wait for a couple of hours, Someone else will probably say what you want to say without upsetting anyone.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread