bass filter for 150 Compact (Oris Horns)

by Tom Russell @, Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 15:21 (6253 days ago) @ Bert

The gain for the bass will be too low if you are thinking of a passive
line filter. You'll need an extra stage to boost the gain with minimal
12dB...

I made a filter following your values for a Compact - 1.3k/1.5uf, 3k/150nf, 100k pot - although I'm not sure if this is for a 150 or a 200. There seems to be plenty of gain. The subjective proper volume balance between the horn and the bass is about a quarter to a third of the rotation of a linear 100k pot. Full open is way too loud.

Can you use the active filter as a kind of pre-amp only?

Yes but one of the main things I am trying to accomplish here is the elimination of an active stage and the noise that accompanies it. I am determined to make this system silent.

Using passive components in between the bass amplifier and the bass driver
will be a problem unless you EQ the impedance peaks and rise first. That
will become a complex filter and you'll need to be able to measure what you
are doing. I do not use the same bass drivers as you are doing now...

I have not considered placing the filter between the amp and the driver. I use the BD15 drivers that were sold last year.

Its hard to suggest the optimal thing from a distance for systems I do not
have around here to check for suitability...

It is an Oris 150 Compact system. There are several suggested filters that I found searching the forum but none appear to be designed for a line level application and I'm not sure that I found a filter that was designed for a 150. I'm hoping you can suggest some basic filter values to work from.

Tom

PS How do you get the message you are replying to onto this screen? I copied and pasted and used the quote button but I lost all formatting, either way.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread