Reference Compact Bass Filter (Oris Horns)

by Cappy @, Monday, December 11, 2006, 00:28 (6318 days ago) @ Gasper

Thanks Gasper for the links. They raise more questions than they answer in my mind though.

For example, I am interested in how the cascaded RCs in a higher order filter effect the frequency response. I may well have missed that, but I haven't been able to find the answer to that, or a formula. It is clear that each cascaded RC increases the slope by 6dbs, but the values of the R and C obviously have some impact too. What is that impact?

I am also interested in knowing how the input impedance of the bass amp effects the frequency response of the filter.

Going back to the two filter versions we were discussing, the one I am using with a 0.47 uF cap, and the newer one with the 1.5 uF cap:

My filter if I understand correctly (I may not) has a knee frequency of about 260 hz. The newer filter knee is much lower, in the 80s. So with the newer filter the volume can be turned up, since there will be much less overlap at higher bass frequencies. This results in more bass energy at lower frequencies. However, the slope is still -12db in both cases, so the filters act quite differently around the bass/horn crossover point.

So if I understand this correctly, I see how there is much more bass energy at lower frequencies. It seems like there could more of a "gap" in the bass/horn crossover frequency though. Is this correct?

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread