Dipole with Oris horns ? (Oris Horns)

by MichaelW @, Sunday, September 24, 2006, 15:01 (6423 days ago)

Hi guys.
After reading and learning a lot from this forum and berts explanations for quite a while, it´s now time to write my first posting.
Im 26 years old, living in Dortmund (germany) and would call myself a DIY maniac (turntables, tonearms, speakers, furniture…)
Inspired by Berts fabulous speakers, I decided to build my own “poor students” hornsystem.
A Fostex FE206 working in a 60cm tractrixhorn supported by a Fostex FT17H tweeter and Beyma 15LX60 bassspeakers in vented enclosers. I´m quite pleased with the sound at this time (in future I probably would like to upgrade to an AER speaker, but not yet), but I´m wondering if I should go for another Bass solution.
In the past I heard the Beymas as dipoles (in a very small/non existing open baffle) with my fullrange-backloaded horns, cutoff at about 40-50 Hz.
I like the bass of a dipole a lot, but will it work with my frontloaded horns ? I´ll surely have to “equalize” the Beymas up to 200Hz. How could this be done ? Active equalizing equipement ? The current system has 4 Outputs on the pre: two go to my tubeamp and than to the fostex, the other two feed active crossovers and then diy chipamps (LM4750 parallelled).
A PLLXO probably won´t work with this setup, I guess.
Any suggestions ?
Best regards, Michael
[image]

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread