Smaller woofers with Orphean (Orphean)

by Sjef @, Saturday, August 19, 2006, 15:12 (6459 days ago) @ Sjef

I have heard the PHL's several times in a friends DIY system in combination with a ATC mid dome and a Focal Audiom TD5 tweeter crossed at around 500 Hz and I'm familiar with PHL drivers from my own small speaker system (PHL 1220 with Focal Audiom TLR tweeters, a little bit nervous in the midrange but otherise a pretty good small system) and via my work as sound engineer because they are used in several (good quality) PA systems. My friend used to have ETON bass drivers and compared to them the PHL have got a more lively sound and more "punch", the ETON's are too much "hifi" to my taste.

As far as I understand the Orphean comes with a passive crossover. Is it possible to omit the 220Hz high pass section of this crossover to let my DEQX do the crossover at line level ?

I know you are not that fond of the DEQX but I really like what it does in correcting flaws of the speaker units and the room interaction, stereo image improves a lot that way, altough I must admit that the DEQX is not the last word on transparancy it has made my system more listenable even with low quality MP3's. And besides that it has cost me a small fortune and has replaced my dac and preamp and I'm not looking for a complete system replacement again.

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread