not only movies... (Orphean)

by Bert @, Saturday, August 12, 2006, 14:31 (6438 days ago) @ Kim Schultz

Hi Kim,

This setup will be for multichannel music too, so I will need good quality in the rear channels as well.

Okay, but first try it with decent rear channels. Most "musical" recordings are rather aNoying to view and listen. Mostly the sound comes from all around you, not corresponding with what you actually see.

Its weird to see the image zoom in and out, going from left to right and the sound does not change. On the other hand its weird to hear the guitar at the left rear channel when its playing rigth in front of you!

Best recording for me would be a stable image to look at, all music coming from the front (when you're there live then the sound comes from the front too...) and the only positive effect would be hearing the crowd and the real size of the recorded environment with the help of the rear channels.

No real quaity needed for that...

I will also use a center channel as I think it improves the illusion when watching movies.

When you're not alone then it would be better to have a center channel. This channel should be excacly the same as the main channels though. A different character will sound rather disturbing when the sound image is moving from the center to one of the sides.

I really don´t like the idea of pointing them out as I have a door opening in the right side, and had hoped that I could eliminate the need for damping on the walls, by placing them in the corners and pointing 45 degrees in, like the pi7´s .

Then point them inwards, this way you have less side reflections and the image will me more in front of you. I prefer them outwards simply because I like to be "inside" the music, front row!

Do you have a picture of your setup ?

No, but I will shoot one as soon as I have cleaned up the mess around here... :smile:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread